Floating solar system, also known as FPV, are any kind of solar power plant that floats on water. It can be adapted for pond, lake, reservoirs, etc. It has many advantages, such as no need for land, power generation increase, easy to maintenance and so on. So let's talk about the specific advantages and disadvantages of floating solar.
Here are some advantages of floating solar:
1. No need for land space: the floating solar power plant don' trequires for any land space while the land resources are more and more rare.
2.Increase the power generation: same as other electronics, with higher temperatures, the solar panels come with decreased power outputs. But water will cool the solar panels, which will ensure the efficiency of a solar panel when the temperatures rise. Benefit for the water cooling effect, the power generation of floating solar can be increased by about 11% according to the comparative experiments on a large-scale floating solar plant in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. Refer to 《International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications》
3. Less evaporation and algae bloom:The shade that the floating solar panels produce can help reduce the presence of algae that blooms and evaporation water loss, which will protect the water resources.
4. Easy to maintenance: the floating power plant is built on the water, which can reduce the dust pollution. And the Mibet's floating PV system has maintenance walkway, which will be convenient to clean the solar panels.
5. Tourist spot: the neatly arranged PV arrays are a scenic spots, attracting many tourists and bringing tourist benefits.
6. Shade avoiding: the water surface is relatively open, which can effectively prevent the shade from the trees, mountains, etc.
7. Convenient for the electricity consumption: it's convenient for some villages and cities that is closed to water, because the electricity can be consumed nearby.
Here are some disadvantages of floating solar:
1. High requirements for the racking system: the solar floating system need to hold the solar panels on the water for more than 25 years, so it requires the racking system has high corrosion resistance, long lifespan, high load capacity, etc.
2. Higher cost:A floating solar panel installation might require additional costs than more traditional solar panel installations. Because this is a relatively new solar power technology it requires specialized solar power equipment and more niche solar panel installation knowledge.
As a new solar power technology, the floating solar has aroused extensive attention. And there are a broad expanse of water in China, so building a floating solar power plant is a good choice.